Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Planting a Multi Family Fruit Salad Tree

Today I finally was able to get one of my rare "Multi Family" Fruit Salad Trees planted.

I could not find a nursery that had one for sale, so I had to track down a small orchard that was willing to part with one of their young trees. The orchard, named "Sciocchi Di Aprile" had about twenty of these rare trees that I could see when I picked one up. It ended up costing me $350, which seems a bargain considering the rarity of this tree.

What makes a "Multi Family" fruit salad tree so special is the fact that someone has been able to create multiple fruits from different families growing off of the same tree. They have, in the past been able to grow fruit salad trees with the same family of fruit. Examples would be one which grows peaches, plums, nectarines, apricots and peachcots. Or one which grows multiple apple types.

On mine it includes apples, peaches, plums, pears, cherries and bananas. Then I am supposed to plant strawberries at the base and a grape vine that will grow up the trunk. This way I have everthing I need to make a wonderful fruit salad all in one tree.

It is pretty amazing and I can't wait to get you some photos.

[note- as it is past April 1st, I suppose I can point out that this was an April Fools posting. Although they do have "fruit salad" tree's such as those in my example above, I've never heard of any that can grow different families of fruit]

4 comments:

  1. How cool is that! When I was young, we had an apple tree that had 4 varieties on it. I've never heard of one that has different types of fruit on it though. I'm going to try to search for one locally. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that since it is April 2nd now I can say that it was an April Fool's posting.
    The orchard, named "Sciocchi Di Aprile" actually means April Fools in Italian.
    The funny thing was that when I first wrote this, I didn't realize that there was really such thing as a fruit salad tree. When I found that out, I had to go back and modify it a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn! I really wanted one of those, but not at that price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had thought you were pulling on my lower branches when you said you could put all the different fruit on one tree. It would be a neat trick if you could do it.

    ReplyDelete